Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Upping the PC time

After I got back from Italy it's been a whirlwind of activity to get back in shape. I've spent increased time on the PCs to make up for lost biking. I've also changed the way I'm scheduling my workouts. Due to the higher temperatures and humidty this time of year I'm taking it "easy" 4 days a week (Mon, Tue, Thu, Fri) and riding with PCs on those days. I actually don't know how hard I'm riding on those days as I decided to strip the PC equipped bike of all instrumentation. Staring at the powermeter while PCing away just makes me hate the bike (or rather, a PC equipped bike). I've turned to a heart rate monitor for PC rides, and even then I don't know how hard I'm going as the watch is tucked under my shorts near my knee (thanks to a broken band). So now I ride for enjoyment with the PCs and see how long I've ridden and my average heart rate for the ride once I get home. It really has made it more enjoyable.

PC time the last few weeks - 9 hours 15 minutes
PC time to date - 209 hours 35 minutes

2 comments:

Frank Day said...

Why is it more enjoyable without the powermeter? Is it because you felt you needed to achieve a certain power and it was difficult to do? Or, something else?

I was under the impression that you felt you were totally adapted and thought there wasn't much difference between riding regular cranks and PowerCranks now. This comment really suggests there is still quite a difference. Any idea what the difference is? Why is it you are still finding one not enjoyable and the other "enjoyable"? Why does getting rid of the feedback (except, of course, perceived exertion) make a difference?

wojtek said...

I can totally relate to this approach .

I believe that with all the data gadgets available these days , some people suffer from "geek syndrome" and are losing the big picture .

When you behave like you are working while you suppose to have fun , you are not having fun .

Although I have just a regular computer on my bike ,I always feel tempted to beat my best time at a certain course .

If you keep winding the watch , the spring will eventually break .

I just enjoy my PC one crank at the time ( and sometimes have a sick pleasure when folks can't stay in my draft)